Sunday, July 1, 2012

DIY // Faux Gauges / Plugs

 If these don't say "statement" I don't know what do! I have to say I surprisingly love these! I had the urge to make something out of polymer clay and lately I've been loving the look of real gauges, but the thought of the pain immediately turns me away! So I decided to combine polymer clay and gauges / plugs to create a rockin' pain free look!  I love the way it actually looks like its going right through your ear, its like magic!
Materials: Earrings you don't use, polymer clay, sharp knife or clay cutter, cutting board.
1: Separate two balls of polymer clay, smaller than the size of a golf ball. 2: Roll them both out into cones that create a point at the end. 3: Bend them down like so. 4: Cut a chunk of polymer clay from your earrings. Then push the earring post into it. 5: Take a tiny bit of clay, squish it so its flat and put it over earring post, this helps to secure it. Smooth it out with your fingers. 6: Attach the clasp part of the earring into the rest of the polymer clay piece. Use the earring to poke a hole all the way through the clasp and into the polymer clay. Make sure not to move it too much after this so you don't close the hole. 7: Bake according to directions and after push earring into polymer clay to make a definite hole. 
Wear them and make a rockin' statement! :) Happy Crafting!

p.s. want to see what i'm up to camping? 
instagram : theperfectpear

25 comments:

  1. Seriously clever! I really did think you had it going through your ear before I read the post :-O
    Gotta love polymer ;-)

    Emily
    emilysummers-designer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this! but I think i would have to go a little less drastic on the spike. :)

    kelly elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hardcore! ;) Good idea. I'm pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO cool!!! Great job.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG this is very brilliant, great DIY my friend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so bad-ass! But not! It's bad-faux-ss! .. Or something like that!

    Melissa @ Melicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was definitely worried at first. Super creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FIY: if you are stretching your ears correctly, it doesnt hurt! and also, gauges are the measurement, not the earring. Those are plugs! great DIY though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is sooo smart! Haha!

    http://thebelatedbloomer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, your blog is a little tresaure of secrets, I like it !

    http://patternsofjoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. is it heavy at all on your ears?
    otherwise sounds like a really cool DIY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faux tapers aren't heavy, as long as you use light materials. Most faux tapers that are pre made are acrylic, which is very light.

      Delete
  12. Stretching one's earlobes, not gauging, is a really personal process. You're permanently altering one's body. Most people think it's pretty offensive when someone wears fake ones. To some, it's akin to sticking a bindi on your forehead and saying you're a Hindu.

    ReplyDelete
  13. if you want to gauge your ears, actually gauge your ears. like someone else said, these are called tapers too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey anons, stop being dicks. Some people because of things like jobs and whatnot cannot GAUGE or stretch their ears. Eff off. This is a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stretching ears isn't painful at all! if you do it correctly it shouldn't hurt whatsoever. I think fake plugs are great if you don't want the commitment to stretched ears. These look great, if perhaps a tad large in its circumference to appear fake.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cannot wear gauges, as much as I would love to. My ears have tears in them from when I was a kid. Anything larger than a normal pierced earring size would simply rip my ear more, and that's something I'd like to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look great! I have some fake plugs and I love them. I don't really care if people think it's offensive or not, honestly. I'm not into altering my body like that but I do enjoy the look.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Decent idea, but those are entirely too big to look like real tapers. Wearing fake plugs is silly, might as well just stretch at that point if you want "the look." Until about 2g or 0g they will shrink back down anyways...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I posted these back in October on my Tumblr blog and it looks like you are getting some of the Tumblr comments on your blog :( Love the look of these earrings. Don't love people who are "anonymous" and writing negative comments. Kind of cheapens their opinions in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are nice, and I love faux tapers, but stretching your ear *should not hurt* as long as you go slow, and let them heal. Once you have the first pair in, you leave them in for as long as you would ear rings when you first get them pierced. You take care of your ears how you would fresh piercings. Lovely project though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Polymer clay is not good for your ears. They are not called "Gauges," they are called plugs, spirals, tapers. Gauge is the size, not the name. The small 18/16 g you put in there is too small for the clay, it would eventually rip. When stretching your ears it should not hurt, if it bleeds, hurts, swells- you are doing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! :) You are so sweet!